Childbirth Education Classes
Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare.” – Audre Lorde
Over the course of 2 evening sessions the class explores what you can do to bring about a healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby, and how to prepare for a gentle postpartum transition to parenthood. You’ll walk away from this course with an understanding of reproductive laws and your rights as a birthing pregnant person in 2018.
Some of the topics covered include:
· The anatomy and physiology of birth
· Stages of labor
· Comfort Measures and labor-support techniques
· Negotiating the medical system and interacting with medical caregivers
· Articulating birth preferences ("birth plans")
· Giving birth by cesarean
· Understanding medical procedures and interventions
· Immediate Postpartum Care and Breast/chest feeding
Morgane V. Richardson, birth doula and director of NYC Doula Collective leads the class with a blend of lecture, discussion, experiential learning, and inner exploration.
Queer-specific topics such as intentional family-building, gender identity and expression and the central role of non-gestational parents are integrated throughout the childbirth preparation material.
Private class format
Private classes: I get it! You can't always make a group class or you might not want one so I've developed a comfortable, time saving and intimate way to learn about the birth experience.
Private classes are 6 hours (usually divided over the course of two days) and are customized to your wishes. The cost of private Childbirth Education instruction is $400. The cost can be shared with an additional expectant family. Please contact me for rates and information if you would like to host a larger group.
You may also add on an additional session specifically for feeding your baby and newborn care,
- Breast/Chest Feeding & Newborn Care session ($300, ~3 hours)
- Birth refresher session ($250, ~2.5 hours) - for those who have given birth and taken classes in a prior pregnancy
- Newborn care session ($250, ~2.5 hours) - for adoptive parents or others who don't need to cover breast/chest feeding
Included with any private class is a Google Drive resources file, and YouTube playlist of videos. Morgane can also provide other resources as needed.